North American Hockey League logo North American Hockey League
The League of Opportunity NAHL Combines NAPHL NA3HL USA Hockey
Download on the App Store
Download on Google Play
NAHL Store

Three-goal 3rd period lifts Wildcats over Bees in Game 1

April 3, 2015
South Division Play-In Series (Wichita Falls leads best of three series, 1-0)
Game 1: Rio Grande Valley 2 @ Wichita Falls 4
The Wichita Falls Wildcats used a three-goal third period to take Game 1 of the South Division Play-In round, claiming a 4-2 win over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees at the Kay Yeager Coliseum on Thursday night. Nick Farmer and Evan Okeley each notched two points on a goal and an assist, while Cam Knight also recorded a multi-point night with two assists. Austin Albrecht and Colin Staub found twine for Wichita Falls as well, with Albrecht’s goal standing as the game-winner. Austin Shaw started in net for the ‘Cats, making 16 saves to earn the victory.
After the ‘Cats had posted the first five shots on goal of the game, Okeley gave the Wildcats a 1-0 lead. After skating in two-on-none with Nick Farmer to his right, Okeley centered to Farmer who was unable to put it home. Okeley crashed the net though, digging the puck loose and flipping it home past Ben Johansson for his second-career postseason goal.
The Killer Bees answered back with two goals of their own, with Stathis Soumelidis capitalizing on an awkward bounce off a glass support in the Wildcats’ defensive zone and beating Austin Shaw upstairs to tie the score. Minutes later, the Bees took the lead on a power play goal by Austin Swingle, who just managed to force the puck over the goal line out of a net-mouth scrum.
The second period saw no further scoring, but not for lack of trying, as Cam Bleck and Anthony Croston missed the net on good looks for Rio Grande Valley, while Colin Staub and Austin Albrecht had chances turned aside by Johansson at the other end.
Down by one entering the final frame, Wichita Falls began the third with almost two minutes of carry-over power-play time and made the most of the man-advantage to tie the contest.
Knight worked the puck down to the left-wing corner where Okeley collected the pass, before slinging it through the crease for Farmer on the back door. Farmer’s one-timer from the bottom of the circle was on the money, sneaking past Johansson to level the score, 2-2.
The ‘Cats went to work on offensive following that goal, and took their second lead of the night roughly five minutes later. After joining the rush into the offensive zone, Chernyuk dug the disc free behind the net and looked to the front of the net where he spotted Albrecht racing out of the corner. As he was checked down to the ice, Albrecht chopped the puck into roof of the net to give the Wildcats their second lead of the evening, 3-2.
With time ticking away, Staub added an insurance tally for the Wildcats, lifting a loose puck into the top shelf with Johansson scrambling, pushing the lead to 4-2 for Wichita Falls.
Rio Grande Valley charged forward in the closing moments of the third, forcing Shaw to make a number of strong stops late, but a comeback never materialized for the Killer Bees, as the ‘Cats claimed Game 1, 4-2.
Bauer HockeyTV True Temper Hockey USA Hockey
Apex Learning Next College Student Athlete Bethel University Krampade
Air Force Special Warfare Warroad ICE Howies Hockey Tape Lettermen Sports DASH Digital Auction Showdown K1 Sportswear Official Game Puck
HockeyWolf Hockey Ref Shop Avis Car Rental Budget Car Rental Ace Rent A Car Wynne
HockeyTech NSC Super Rink Minneapolis Northwest InStat Source One Digital
Let's Play Hockey USA Hockey Magazine MYHockey Rankings Drop the Puck