Kim Cannon Internship
The North American Hockey League (NAHL) is pleased to announce the creation and announcement of the Kim Cannon Internship. The Kim Cannon Internship was established by the NAHL, in cooperation with Tampa Bay Lightning Head Coach and former NAHL head coach Jon Cooper and is intended for a recent college graduate interested in pursuing a career in sports.
It is named for a former employee of an NAHL team named Kim Cannon. Back on September 9, 2020, Cannon was involved in an automobile accident which tragically took her life at the age of 35.
"I am honored in cooperation with the North American Hockey League to announce the creation of the Kim Cannon internship. It will be an annual commitment by myself and the wonderful owners of the NAHL to ensure Kim's legacy can live on and that we can honor her memory and give somebody an opportunity to make an impact on the hockey world and the lives of others in such a positive way that Kim did," stated Cooper.
Video: Jon Cooper introducing the Kim Cannon Internship
Back in 2003, Kim joined the NAHL's Texarkana Bandits as a bright-eyed 19-year-old willing do to do whatever it took to help the organization. Working alongside the Bandits head coach Jon Cooper at the time, she advanced from selling merchandise out of a shed to being the Bandits Director of Team Operations, guiding the organization through a relocation and rebrand to become the St. Louis Bandits. It was in St. Louis that Kim was part of a team that won three straight Robertson Cup Championships, including two with Cooper before his departure in 2008.
Candidates for the Kim Cannon internship should be recent college graduate, be able to relocate to the Dallas, Texas, area and represent the high ideals characterized by Kim. This is a 10-month internship that begins August 1, 2024 and ends on May 31, 2025, and a monthly stipend will be provided. The recipient of the Kim Cannon Internship will be chosen by a committee that includes representatives from the North American Hockey League
The position places a strong emphasis on introducing the intern to all aspects of NAHL league operations and administration.
- Recent college graduate
- Able to relocate to Dallas, TX
- Represents the high ideals characterized by Kim
This is a 10-month internship that begins August 1, 2024 and ends on May 31, 2025.
A monthly stipend will be provided.
This position places a strong emphasis on introducing the intern to all aspects of league operations.
Sales and Marketing
Projects as assigned by marketing staff including but not limited to:
- Data management
- Video production and editing
- Designing and creating graphics
- Social media
- Writing projects
- Press releases
- Website content
Hockey Operations/Player Personnel
- Data management
- Conduct player research
- Assist with LeagueStat administration
- Assist in coordinating travel, meals, housing etc. for member teams as needed (ie: Top Prospects Tournament, Robertson Cup)
- Work league showcases and other events (may include travel) Assist in managing partner hotel program
- Assist in merchandising
- Manage merchandise sales at events
Applications accepted December 15, 2023 through February 15, 2024.
- Cover letter
- 3 Professional References
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants must also submit a brief essay (400- 500 words) in which they detail their interest in The Kim Cannon Internship and relate their personal and professional characteristics to those that were reflective of Kim, including being dedicated, ambitious and passionate about hockey.
Applications for the Kim Cannon Internship are reviewed by a committee that includes representatives from the North American Hockey League.
- Application Window Opens - December 15, 2023
- Application Window Closes - February 15, 2024
- Applicants notified they have been selected for an interview - week of March 9, 2024
- Three Finalists Announced - April 20, 2024
- Working Interview - 2024 Robertson Cup Championship May 15 - 21, 2024
- Travel, Housing, Meals and Stipend provided
- Travel Dates May 13 - 22, 2024
2023-24 Kim Cannon Intern Announced June 3, 2024.